ext4 able to boot from ext3 mbr?

stan eiqep_eiwo_y at cox.net
Tue Oct 28 21:32:27 UTC 2008

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
>
>> One can have an ext4 partition, but the /boot partition has to be ext2 or ext3 if I am not mistaken?  I have such a setup that I have an ext4 partition, but I am not sure if the /boot partition is ext2 or ext3?
>>

> That's correct.
>
> If the mention of "ext3 mbr" meant "/boot is ext3" then the relevant
> info is:  grub cannot (yet) boot from ext4.  /boot must be a separate,
> non-ext4, grub-supported filesystem.  I'd go with ext3.
>
> Thanks,
> -Eric

I want to thank everyone who responded.  It is clear to me
now what is necessary to use an ext4 filesystem.

My failure was that I was using /boot that was ext4.  I
could select it from the grub menu on the other disk, but
when it tried to start from there, it failed.

At least that is what I remember.  It's been a while.