resolv.conf hijacking?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Sep 7 03:51:13 UTC 2008

On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 22:45:50 -0500
Eric Sandeen <sandeen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Tom Horsley wrote:
> > But something, somewhere, insists on overwriting my resolv.conf
> > file.
> >
> > If I knew who was doing it, I could file a bug report or figure
> > out how to make it stop, but I have no clues.
> >
> > Anyone know?
>
> you could sysctl -w vm.block_dump=1 and watch for who dirties it, I'd
> suggest an otherwise idle system so your logs don't explode with messages...

I think I found it. The ifcfg-eth0 script had DNS1 and DNS2 lines in it.
If I run system-config-network after editing resolv.conf and save the
changes, it writes the new DNS lines to the ifcfg script, so that is
apparently where the hijacking originates. Hopefully with the new script
now it will hijack it with the correct data :-).