Not-Booting Kernel Question

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Sep 9 11:36:09 UTC 2008

On Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:51:47 +0100
Frank Murphy <frankly3d at gmail.com> wrote:

> If a kernel update cause boot-failure, *314*
> how does one retrieve useful info dmesg etc..

If you just want to dig up log files, you can always boot
from DVD in rescue mode and mount the filesystems and poke
around to see whats there (or boot a live CD and do the
same).

Unfortunately, some information doesn't seem to go anywhere
other than the console (things like kernel walkback traces).
I've only ever been able to capture them by rigging up a 2nd
computer with a null modem cable and booting the first with
serial console setup on kernel boot options.

If there is something more convenient than using a serial
console to capture everything that happens during boot, I'd
love to find out how to do it :-).