Login as root is impossible

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Sep 14 22:14:52 UTC 2008

Antonio M <antonio.montagnani <at> gmail.com> writes:
> After latest updates from gdm there is no way to log as root!!!!!
> I am pretty sure as I can su or start any application requiring root
> privilege....so....what is going on?? shall I file a bug???

Looks like this is only blocked in the PAM configuration, not in the code. So
you can reenable it by removing the offending line (the one with root in it)
from /etc/pam.d/gdm. That's also why there's no helpful error message: the GDM
code doesn't understand why PAM is denying the access.

        Kevin Kofler