rescue mode

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Sep 17 14:43:03 UTC 2008

John Summerfield wrote, On 09/17/2008 10:31 AM:

> I'm digging around in the f9 netinst iso atm, trying to solve my kernel
> problem. The initrd for this iso loads a 100 Mbyte or so ramdisk that
> contains basically the rescue disk+installer. It shouldn't be hard to
> copy this to the installed system and boot it from grub.
>
> With the recover option, one would expect this might be regenerated as
> new kernels (and tools) are installed.

Careful with that thought, if it is automatically regenerated you might be
stuck in the same situation you are now, i.e., bad kernel|mkinitrd no booty. :)

Also if you do something like that, I think you would want the image to have
an rpm entry that made for it so rpm/yum would not remove THAT kernel until
you have a new known good kernel and image set for your machine, even if you
have more kernels than your installonly_limit setting.

--
Todd Denniston