Help me triage

Tomas Mraz tmraz at redhat.com
Wed Sep 24 15:26:27 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 16:32 +0200, Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-09-24, 02:22 GMT, Steve Grubb wrote:
> > Please leave my packages alone. I leave them in NEW until I've
> > had a chance to review them. If you change it, I may think I've
> > already taken some action action.
>
> Hi, Steve,
>
> I follow the discussion coming out of this message with a keen
> interest, but I would vote strongly (as only one of bug zappers),
> against any individual exceptions from the general policies
> described on
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/BugZappers/BugStatusWorkFlow
> I would totally welcome any comments and criticism for this
> workflow AS WHOLE, but if we get too much in the exception
> business whole process would get too complicated for volunteers
> bug zappers.
>
> Having said that, I totally understand, that we should
> accommodate developers workflows as well (or in the first
> place?). I don't think that introducting CONFIRMED (or
> UNCONFIRMED) bug status is a good solution, because it a huge
> undertaking which would be friendly to some but hostile all
> others who managed to turn around their workflows around the
> current environment. For all those, whom the workflow suggested
> at the above URL doesn't fir into how they do thinks (and I was
> talking about that with some of them and they seemed to agree
> with me in the end; yes, Tomáš, I am looking at you! ;-)) I would
> point to the existence of the still living status ON_DEV. It is
> now of no use to anybody and there is no official use for it,
> however it still remains here (so that old bugs don't have to be
> converted, or something -- I am not sure what exact reasons lead
> bugzilla maintainers to keep it around, but good they did).
>
> Wouldn't it be possible for you to redefine ASSIGNED as "this is
> bug-triaged and really on my plate to do something about it,
> eventually" and then use ON_DEV as "the stuff I am working on
> right now"? By this, we (I hope) can acommodate your needs, and
> still we don't have to make big changes in our bugzilla (and bug
> zappers workflow).
>
> Any comments?
Using ON_DEV instead of the old meaning of ASSIGNED just means that you
would force changing the meaning of ASSIGNED for all of the other
product processes (such as RHEL) otherwise it would still mean that
ASSIGNED on RHEL means completely different thing than ASSIGNED on
Fedora. And ASSIGNED on RHEL would be equivalent to ON_DEV on Fedora.
This doesn't seem to me as good thing.

Adding a CONFIRMED (status or flag or keyword) or reusing ON_DEV for the
triaged meaning changes just the triagers work and nothing else.

--
Tomas Mraz
                                              Turkish proverb