ext4 testing in the F10 release cycle

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed Sep 3 16:43:50 UTC 2008

> For F10, the barrier to entry has been lowered by 14 characters - now
> all you have to type on the boot prompt is "ext4" :)  and when you go to
> the custom partitioning screen, you'll get the option to create ext4
> filesystems at install time.
>
> I'd appreciate any and all testing, benchmarking & feedback that people
> would be willing to do.  Just getting more exposure in real-life
> scenarios would be great.

Long ago, I installed a Windows XP boot partition on a machine that
had Windows NT as my primary partition, and XP "helpfully" converted
all my NTFS partitions to the wonderful new version of NTFS, which,
naturally, my NT installation could no longer read or boot from :-(.

If someone would swear on a 10 mile high stack of bibles that ext4
won't do similar helpful things, I might consider giving it a try :-).