resolv.conf hijacking?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Sep 7 20:07:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Tom Lane wrote:

> To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
>     <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> From: Tom Lane <tgl at redhat.com>
> Subject: Re: resolv.conf hijacking?
>
> "Tom Horsley" <tom.horsley at att.net> writes:
>> ARRGH! What the devil is hijacking my /etc/resolv.conf file?
>
> Is this F9?
>
>> I have NetworkManager completely uninstalled on this system
>> (only NetworkManager-glib still exists due to dependencies).
>
> That piece of junk overwrites /etc/resolv.conf during boot, even
> when allegedly disabled.

I had a similar issue with my /etc/resolv.conf years ago
on SuSE Linux. Cannot remember now what was causing it though.

Is it possible to rename the offending executable file, so
it cannot be run at boot time?

Regards,

Keith Roberts

>  I'd like to find out exactly where it's happening, too,
> so I can take a sufficiently large-gauge cluestick to the
> perpetrators.  Pre-F9 systems did not break my network
> config on every reboot.  I've worked around it for the
> moment by forcibly overwriting resolv.conf with a
> non-broken version in /etc/rc.local, but this is hardly
> satisfactory.
>
> 			regards, tom lane
>
> --

Websites:
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

The mind of the prudent is ever getting knowledge, and the
eear of the wise is ever seeking, inquiring for and craving
knowledge. Pr. 18:15 Amp

TMDA [http://tmda.net]