resolv.conf hijacking?

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Mon Sep 8 04:46:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 20:40 -0600, Reg Clemens wrote:

> Does this machine run DHCP?
> If so, it will change your resolv.conf to point at the servers it
> knows about.
> Im not sure if this just happens once, if it happens each time
> DHCP renews its lease, or more often, but I found it a pain.
>
> I know I was able to 'uncouple' it so it wouldnt happen (I use my
> own nameserver from within my domain).  Im not sure right off
> the top HOW I did it, but if this seems to be the problem, and you
> cant figure out how to do it, Ill take a look.
>
> My gut feeling was it was one line in a config file.

Is the OP running NetworkManager?  If so, that is what is doing it.
When it reboots, it erases the file, then when it connects, getting info
via dhcp, or from ifcfg-X file and readding it.  I forget why it does
that but was explained before by Dan Williams, the maintainer of it
(think that is right).

--
Mike Chambers
mikec302 at fedoraproject.org