Login as root is impossible

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 23:22:44 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:34 PM, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <
ivazqueznet at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 22:12 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> > It means that if I want to log as root i need a runlevel=3, isn't it??
> > but why???
>
> No, you can switch to a console if you like.

I have to pipe in here now with a rant...
After being able to log in as root for 30 years...
who has the right to decide I'm not allowed to?

(In broad sweeping strokes he writes...)
Why are more and more restrictions being placed on functionality?
Why do new versions of software have fewer features than the old versions?
Why do programmers seem to make all new windows 'dialog' windows to
prevent you from switching to other windows without destroying the new
window first?

At this rate... I'll have to switch to another OS, just to get all that
lost functionality and convenience back!

No login utility should prevent me from loging into any enabled account!

... rant off...