Fedora Test Day - 2008-09-11 - Virtualization

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 12:49:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 20:46 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> James Laska wrote:
>
> > Greetings folks,
> >
> > Come join #fedora-qa this Thursday, September 11, 2008 for another
> > Fedora Test Day.  The focus this Thursday will be virtualization,
> > specifically:
> >
> >  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtStorage
> >  * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/VirtRemoteInstall
> >
> > Perhaps you've never used virt-manager, but are familiar with VirtualBox
> > or VMWare?  This is a great chance to get familiar with libvirt and
> > related tools.
> >
> > There will be testers and developers on hand between 8am - 5pm EDT
> > (12:00 - 21:00 UTC) to help guide testing, answer questions, triage and
> > troubleshoot issues.
> >
> > Want to get involved?  We'd love to have your help in making sure these
> > features are ready for F10.  For more details, please stay tuned to
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2008-09-11.
> >
> > Hope to see you in #fedora-qa this Thursday!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > James
>
> Am I reading this correctly, that my "test system" could be a virtual
> guest F9 system (I have a virtual F9 i386 system running on my F9
> x86_64 host, under VirtualBox, could I use that for testing?)

Greetings,

That's a good question.  Someone brought this point up earlier.  I was
going under the assumption that your "test system" would need to be a
bare metal system.  But given the nature of the VirtRemoteInstall
feature, I suspect it may be possible to run virt-manager from inside a
guest to connect to a virt-manager running on a bare metal system.

If you are able to try this, I'd be interested in hearing your results.

Thanks,
James

 James Laska         -- jlaska at redhat.com
 Quality Engineering -- Red Hat, Inc.