yum update ==> paperweight :-)

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Sep 14 01:21:47 UTC 2008

Just grabbed a slew of updates from rawhide for my F10 alpha
partition, and now F10 alpha has been rendered a paperweight.

Any attempt to login (as any user, not just root) reports failed
to authenticate user, and after the first login attempt, the
USB keyboard also stops working.

I can use the accessibility stuff to bring up the onscreen
keyboard (the mouse is still working) and try to login with it,
but it still says failed to authenticate.

When I give up and try to press restart or shutdown button,
I get an instant popup saying restart or shutdown failed, so
the only way to recover (that I've found so far) is to hit
the reset button.

I tried booting the old kernel, but all the same symptoms
persist, so it was one of the other updates that did me in,
but there were so many of them, I have no way to guess which
one might be the culprit (which makes it hard to submit
a bugzilla, since I haven't got the slightest clue what
component to report against).

I'm off to try runlevel 3 and see if I can authenticate any
user in console mode (if that works, at least I'll be able
to get new updates :-).