rescue mode

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Sep 17 15:29:42 UTC 2008

Todd Denniston wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote, On 09/17/2008 10:31 AM:
>>
>> I'm digging around in the f9 netinst iso atm, trying to solve my
>> kernel problem. The initrd for this iso loads a 100 Mbyte or so
>> ramdisk that contains basically the rescue disk+installer. It
>> shouldn't be hard to copy this to the installed system and boot it
>> from grub.
>>
>> With the recover option, one would expect this might be regenerated as
>> new kernels (and tools) are installed.
>>

> Careful with that thought, if it is automatically regenerated you might
> be stuck in the same situation you are now, i.e., bad kernel|mkinitrd no
> booty. :)
>
> Also if you do something like that, I think you would want the image to
> have an rpm entry that made for it so rpm/yum would not remove THAT
> kernel until you have a new known good kernel and image set for your
> machine, even if you have more kernels than your installonly_limit setting.

In theory, yum can already be instructed to keep some number of packages
matching a specified pattern, it's supposed to prevent folk like me
finding themselves with one kernel, and that a dud.

In practice, it seems not work that way more often than it does, and at
present it doesn't preserve old packages.

Presumably though, if something is broken (and some's complaining right
now about a segfault partitioning in Anaconda), then it does need to be
rebuilt.

If that means I have five bootable kernels plus five ramdisks of
recovery stuff, that's fine, disks are cheap even if replacing one's a pain.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait