xorg-x11-drv-ati problem?

Lyvim Xaphir knightmerc at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 18 19:21:37 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 14:43 -0400, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV630 [Radeon HD
> 2600 Series]
>
> I cannot get gdm to start in rawhide unless I use older versions of the
> ati driver and xorg-x11-drivers.

Current ATI drivers are not compatible with any xorg server version
greater than 1.4.2.  There will not be xorg server 1.5 compatibility
until next month at the latest.

There is a new ATI driver release as of yesterday (9-17-08) which
includes a slew of bugfixes, including screen tearing during xvid play,
but it still isnt' capable of working with xorg server 1.5.

ATI users are best advised to use Fedora 8 at this time, which is a more
stable platform anyway.

LX