Rawhide and Chainloader

Felix Miata mrmazda at ij.net
Sat Sep 20 23:45:55 UTC 2008

On 2008/09/20 14:16 (GMT-0700) Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R composed:

> I can boot OpenSUSE, FreeBSD, and Windows with
> chainloader +1 in my master menu.lst.

> I install Rawhide (when it works) with its bootloader
> written to the boot partition instead of the MBR.  I
> take this precaution because the Fedora installer is
> too lazy to verify the soundness of the install first.

> I have to copy lines from the Fedora grub.conf to the
> master menu.lst because the Fedora boot can't be
> accessed by the usual chainloader +1.   Why is this so?

I think it may be because you're trying to chainload to a partition with
-I256 formatting and the Grub loading your master menu.lst only knows -I128
legacy. Is your OpenSUSE older than 11.0? If not, updating your master Grub
to 11.0's version should fix you up, or maybe you need even newer Grub from
SUSE Factory. Or, you could specifically specify -I128 on a fresh format to
reinstall Rawhide. Or, you could switch your master Grub to Rawhide's
version, which uses grub.conf instead of menu.lst.
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain."			Psalm 127:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/