Longtime Fedora user going rawhide (i915.modeset, keyboard layouts, xorg.conf/synaptics, bluetooth)

MartinG gronslet at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 10:03:06 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 4:08 PM, Adam Jackson <ajax at redhat.com> wrote:
> Intel KMS support is likely to miss F10, it doesn't look to be in
> working shape upstream let alone in fedora.  The command line option
> should work for the "keep both pieces" crowd though.

Thanks for the feedback. For now, I am able to start X when I don't use the
i915.modeset=1 kernel option.

>> 3. What is the grand plan for configuration replacement for the
>> xorg.conf file?
>> ... /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-synaptics.fdi, ...

> You can do it there, or you can do it in xorg.conf like you've always
> done.  In fact, the latter is preferred.

Ok, just to share how I was able to use synaptics "the way it was before":
I removed xorg.conf, started X, went into /var/log/Xorg.0.log, cut the
autoconfig
section there, put it back into /etc/X11/xorg.conf, and added these lines
(relevant for synaptics with (usable) tapping,
and intel (to work with compiz-fusion in KDE4):

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Builtin Default intel Device 0"
        Driver  "intel"
        # "opera: X Shared memory extension is not available. ZPixmap
not supported"
        # read:
http://linux-tipps.blogspot.com/2008/06/operaintel-x-shared-memory-problem.html
        Option      "AccelMethod" "XAA" # not EXA
        # read:  http://forum.compiz-fusion.org/showthread.php?t=8119
        Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps" "true"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Synaptics"
        Driver      "synaptics"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
        Option      "Protocol" "auto-dev"
        Option      "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
        Option      "SHMConfig" "true"
# Turn off horizontal scroll:
        Option      "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
        Option      "TapButton1" "1"
        Option      "TapButton2" "2"
        Option      "TapButton2" "3"
# Make tapping work "the old way", ie. usable way:
        Option      "MaxTapMove" "2000"
EndSection

(this config seems to survive suspend/resume, nice)

Now X starts fine, but when I scroll in eg. 'konsole' I sometimes get
wierd behavior: If I scroll up, the upper half of the screen stays
static, but when I scroll down, the lower half of the screen stays
static (doesn't "follow"). Said in another way - the scrolling seems
to miss lines. Same thing happens sometimes, in Opera (web browser).
Furthermore, dmesg keeps reporting

[drm:i915_gem_execbuffer] *ERROR* Going to lose the write domain on
obj 26 size 16777216
[drm:i915_gem_execbuffer] *ERROR* Going to lose the write domain on
obj 27 size 16777216

and .xsession-errors shows:

X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode: 20 (X_GetProperty)
  Resource id:  0x304def9
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
  Major opcode:  20
  Minor opcode:  0
  Resource id:  0x2a38d26

> With the evdev driver, keyboard settings are inherited from the settings
> in /etc/sysconfig/keyboard, which you can set by running
> system-config-keyboard.  Well, some of which you can set; really all
> s-c-k lets you set is layout.  The script to propagate these settings
> into hal is in /usr/bin/fedora-setup-keyboard and it's probably one of
> the more vile hacks I've ever written.  Sorry about that.

Okay, I can live without the 'nodeadkeys' option. I'll try some more when the
next KDE4 update arrives.

> I had a plan, at one point, to add something to that script that would
> let you set additional XKB options directly from /e/s/k, so you could do
> something like:
>
> KEYTABLE=no
> XKB_OPTIONS=nodeadkeys
>
> and have it work.  But it doesn't yet.  I'd happily take a patch!

Sounds like a nice plan, but I assume this is meant to be in addition
to some user specific settings?

> But the real problem there is that when KDE applied its session
> settings, something screwed up.  The output from 'xkbcomp :0 -' from the
> broken configuration would be useful here.  I suspect what's happening
> is KDE's trying to change the xkb 'model' to pc105, which isn't
> meaningful for evdev.

Okay, this is what I did:
- Started KDE with the working keyboard (no keyboard mentioned in
xorg.conf, and layouts disabled in KDE systemsetting/regional..)
$ xkbcomp :0 - &> xkbcomp0-_without-kde-layouts.txt

- enabled layouts in systemsettings (english, norwegian and norwegian
nodeadkeys),
this broke the keyboard, only normal alphabet work, arrow keys are
mapped to something
else (not sure what, but one of them mean something like "delete to
the en of the line" in this webmail editor)
$ xkbcomp :0 - &> xkbcomp0-_with-kde-layouts.txt

- disabled layouts
$ xkbcomp :0 - &> xkbcomp0-_disabled-kde-layouts.txt
$ diff -u xkbcomp0-_with-kde-layouts.txt  xkbcomp0-_disabled-kde-layouts.txt
(no output, ie. no difference, therefore not attached)

see attachments

So I have to restart KDE to get back to a working keyboard.

Thanks!

-MartinG