No sound - update

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Sep 26 12:56:39 UTC 2008

Simon Andrews wrote:
> Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> On 9/25/08, Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R <caf at omen.com> wrote:
>>> Today's rsync installed via http without undue difficulty.
>>> Unfortunately, eth0 did not appear so this rev is both
>>> dumb and unconnected.
>>
>> If it's e1000, note the removal of e1000 from the rawhide kernel:
>> * Tue Sep 23 2008 Dave Jones <davej at redhat.com>
>> - Disable E1000E driver until bz 459202 is solved.
>
> Just to be clear in this thread - the affected driver is e1000e.  There
> is a separate e1000 driver which is unaffected and is still enabled.
>
> Simon.

I don't know what that driver's got to do with the subject, but I have a
few bob[0] to chuck around.

I've decided for reasons we needn't go into here that one of my systems
should undergo a conversion to opensuse.

Opensuse 11.1 is in beta right now, and I thought to try that as a
suitable alternative to rawhide.

There's a note about it: "DO NOT RUN THIS ON SYSTEMS WITH THIS INTEL
GIGABIT NIC."[1] It might destroy the card.

Basically, it seems to be any card using that driver.

Although mine is not listed (in my DC7700 the NIC's integrated on the
mobo), it does use that driver, so I decided, "Perhaps I won't try
that." fwiw Opensuse 11.0 runs fine, and apparently has a running Dom0 XEN.

[0] Unofficial, obsolete in this country, unit of currency, worth two zacks.

[1] My loud voice.

--

Cheers
John