ext4 filesystem, new F10 Beta Release?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Sat Sep 27 03:21:37 UTC 2008

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Dear fellow testers,
>
> I am currently running rawhide on two machines, a barebones ASUS machine(~5 yr old) and a Toshiba Laptop.  I have other machines that run Fedora 9 respectively and one of them has a busted NTFS partition and I am wanting to try to keep my existing Fedora 9 partition as it is and on the NTFS partition destroy the data(since it does not boot and ntfs-3g does not mount it, even with force option) and looking to install Fedora rawhide on it, if F10 Beta Release is coming soon or attempt a network install
>
> http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f9/en_US/sn-expert-download.html
>
>  and use ext4 filesystem:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/Ext4

That was a feature for F9; just FWIW.

The major difference in F10 (aside from more ext4 maturity) is that the
e2fsprogs which ships with F10 should be fully ext4-capable.

> I have read that when installing one has to use ext4 as a
> boot option is that correct?

Yes, you still need "ext4" on the installer boot commandline.

Then when you go to the custom partitioning screen, you can choose ext4
for any installer-created filesystem other than the one that contains /boot.

-Eric