Help me triage

Matej Cepl mcepl at redhat.com
Tue Sep 30 08:40:59 UTC 2008

On 2008-09-27, 02:42 GMT, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> This being the main question to respond to, I just wanna say
> that although the problem *never ever* happens to me, if a bug
> is ASSIGNED to me right now, I'm responsible. Period.
>
> If however it would have been the real ASSIGNED status, it would merely
> indicate that someone else thinks it is my responsibility. The only
> responsibility I have at that point though is to either ACCEPT the bug,
> or ASSIGN it to whatever party I think is responsible.

Just to keep the issues in proportions -- that's all 10 bugs
(http://tinyurl.com/4gpxvd) we are talking about, right?

Anyway, yes, there is a difference between two meanings of
ASSIGNED and the second one is the official one. However, I don't
think the difference is that important. When you see a bug which
is ASSIGNED to you and it shouldn't be (and of course it happens,
because bug triagers have no way to understand your packages as
well as you do), you just reassign it to somebody who is the
(more probable) rightful owner of the bug.

If the issue is conceptualization, then what about understanding
ASSIGNED as your first definition, where "responsible for" could
be resolved not only in fixing the bug but also in reassigning,
WONTFIXing, etc.

There is no judicial proceeding about the assigning of bugs,
Fedora is meant to be a group of cooperating sane individuals, so
if bug triagers do best they can, but when they wrong, there is
no big deal in your saying "Wrong, try better next time" and
reassigning to somebody better.

Why is the difference between your two definitions such a big
deal for you? And I am really asking, I would like to know.

Matěj