Help me triage

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Tue Sep 30 09:09:45 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-09-27, 02:42 GMT, Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>> This being the main question to respond to, I just wanna say
>> that although the problem *never ever* happens to me, if a bug
>> is ASSIGNED to me right now, I'm responsible. Period.
>>
>> If however it would have been the real ASSIGNED status, it would merely
>> indicate that someone else thinks it is my responsibility. The only
>> responsibility I have at that point though is to either ACCEPT the bug,
>> or ASSIGN it to whatever party I think is responsible.
>
> Just to keep the issues in proportions -- that's all 10 bugs
> (http://tinyurl.com/4gpxvd) we are talking about, right?

Like I said, this never happens to me, as far as RH Bugzilla is
concerned I might add.

Also, you can take "responsible" lightly as far as my personal
involvement in RH Bugzilla is concerned. It's not like I commercially
support, maintain and develop packages or programs entire business
depend on ;-)

> Anyway, yes, there is a difference between two meanings of
> ASSIGNED and the second one is the official one. However, I don't
> think the difference is that important.

It is, since the entire discussion is due to people using ASSIGNED
status for what (in the entire process) sounds like should be ACCEPTED,
and the ASSIGNED status being the only thing keeping the bug from being
NEW, or at least that's what I'm seeing. Whether you make triaged a
keyword, add a CONFIRMED or ACCEPTED status, do it with flags or
whathaveyou doesn't really matter in that aspect, but, imho, there has
to be a step between a bug being NEW and someone being responsible or
"responsible" for the bug to be resolved.

> Why is the difference between your two definitions such a big
> deal for you? And I am really asking, I would like to know.

Hey, I'm not losing any sleep over it if that's what you think ;-)

I just honestly think there's something we can improve here, and I've
had my share of processes that were just wrong, and I've had my share in
improving these processes.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip