Help me triage

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 10:08:24 UTC 2008

>> > Fully agreed, but ... consider both python and perl
>> > * are part of the base-packages Fedora is based on.
>> > * there are other dependencies adding much more bloat to "minimal
>> > installs"
>>
>> That's not entirely true.
>
> Check "Base" in comps.xml, check mock's default setup - It's a
> convention.

Sorry, my not entirely true was it can be done. Its been made easier
in the last couple of weeks with some fixing of packages thanks to a
number of helpful maintainers.

>>  In fact its very easy now to run a complete
>> gnome desktop without perl at all.
> [..]
>> In fact its very easy now to run a complete
>> gnome desktop without perl at all. I'm doing it quite successfully
>> with rawhide on my eeePC
>
> I wish the same would apply to python, lua and others, it would spare
> quite a number of bytes on my i586, because I am using perl, but don't
> have much use for python ...

I use perl extensively on my servers, just not on my workstations. I'm
trying to squeeze a useful desktop OS into the capacity of an eeePC
that would be usable for the average Joe eeePC user, anyone who knows
how to use perl would know how to install it.