future f12 test days

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Thu Apr 2 19:24:54 UTC 2009

> On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 11:11 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> > > c) make the test cases as automated as possible. Offer sending
> smolt
> > > profile (smoltGUI) and run test cases directly from the desktop.
> Also We
> > > should add a link (or the document itself) about how to test what
> and
> > > why to the desktop. If it's possible for the test generated
> results
> > > should also be posted automagically to the results page, or, if
> tests
> > > fail, bug reports could be created by bugbuddy.
> >
> > These would all be nice, but we *are* running on a one-week cycle
> here,
> > it may be hard to get it all done. Assistance welcome. =) it's
> pretty
> > hard to automate some elements of some test cases, but some could
> > certainly be done with scripts etc.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention another consideration here: I'm trying to
> write
> these test cases to be pretty future-proof, so we could use them
> virtually unmodified for F12, F13, F14...after all, the URLs don't
> have
> expire-by dates and the test cases will still be hanging around in 10
> years most likely. I suspect scripts are liable to go stale faster
> than instructions.

My initial concern was the lack of defined test cases.  Thankfully that
problem is slowly going away (see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Category:Test_Cases).  I'm always in
favor of automation where possible, but I try to make sure we know what
we automate before we dive into the shell.

However, with the test case "library" expanding ... it isn't a bad idea
to begin thinking as scripts/automation comes online, where/how will we
store these tests.  Depending on the test target, automation may already
exist.  So leveraging any off-the-shelf test automation is always a
"good thing."  Some of these questions will naturally tie into the
beaker project as that matures, but there's no reason we can't
discuss/debate these issues now.

Thanks,
James