An F10 Old Xorg.conf Bug Returns in F11B

Christopher A. Williams chriswfedora at cawllc.com
Fri Apr 3 15:30:12 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 10:26 -0400, Adam Jackson wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 07:05 -0600, Christopher A. Williams wrote:
> > Just tried F11 Beta on my home machine with an on-board NVidia GeForce
> > 7100 chipset. The MB is the EVGA 7100.
> >
> > A bug that was found in F10 with this combo has returned in F11B. Back
> > then, F10 would not properly recognize my GeForce 7100 card and
> > basically stop. I would fall back to VESA to get things to work, but
> > would have to force a default xorg.conf file onto a USB drive Live CD to
> > make that happen. We did get a fix into F10.
> >
> > Well, the same thing is now back in F11B. It's exactly the same problem.
> > I still don't understand why we can't recognize this card. It seems that
> > it has been consistently left off of the compatibility list for the
> > OpenSource NVidia drivers. Only the proprietary drivers work correctly
> > with it.
>
> This card ought to work with nouveau, by all accounts.  Are you using
> nouveau and not nv?  What's the failure look like in the X log?

It turns out looking at the logs that the nouveau driver attempts to
load, but then fails. Unfortunately the failure is so late in the game
that the VESA driver never loads.

Xorg logs and the default xorg.conf file which successfully loads the
VESA driver included in new Bugzilla bug #493981 filed against Rawhide /
nouveau for now...

Cheers,

Chris

--
"You see things as they are and ask, 'Why?'

-- George Bernard Shaw