problem with NetworkManager

psmith johnsmithdoe14 at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 10 08:54:52 UTC 2009

Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-09 at 23:53 +0100, psmith wrote:
>
>> Craig White wrote:
>>
>>> Wireless was working fine on F10 but when I updated to F11-Beta and then
>>> did a yum update which pretty much updated everything, my wired network
>>> is OK but wireless is not. I can't point the finger at NetworkManager on
>>> F11 because I am not all that familiar with how it's supposed to work
>>> because it just worked on F10 and before that, my previous laptop
>>> pre-dated NM.
>>>
>>> For some reason that I don't understand, the KDE Networking Widget in
>>> the status tray has 'Enable Wireless' dimmed ('Enable Networking' is of
>>> course checked).
>>>
>>> I cannot connect to my wireless LAN at all.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Craig
>>>
>>> I did some editing to ifcfg-wlan0 because for some reason, NM_CONTROLLED
>>> and USERCTL were set to no after the update.
>>>
>>> # cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-wlan0
>>> # Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express
>>> Adapter
>>> DEVICE=wlan0
>>> HWADDR=00:23:4e:7e:61:bf
>>> BOOTPROTO=dhcp
>>> TYPE=Wireless
>>> ONBOOT=no
>>> USERCTL=yes
>>> PEERDNS=yes
>>> IPV6INIT=no
>>> NM_CONTROLLED=yes
>>> RATE=auto
>>> MODE=Auto
>>> ESSID=
>>> CHANNEL=
>>>

>> i had a similar problem in F11 beta on my aspire one, it was caused by
>> the acer_wmi module, try removing that if it's loaded and see if it
>> makes a difference
>>
> ----
> all the difference in the world...thanks
>
> Craig

what type of laptop is it craig? as the acer_wmi module shouldn't be
loaded an the aspire one as the wmi implementation on these laptops in
non functional so this is why i thought it was messing around with the
wireless card, but if yours isn't an aspire one it may be something
else, though i wonder how many other laptops have non functional wmi
implementations?

i really need to get round to filing a bug against this

phil