firefox is regularly dying

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.net
Sun Apr 12 13:31:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 09:02 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   on the other hand, there is one other annoyance with firefox -- it's
> tendency to absolutely suck up CPU cycles.  occasionally, depending on
> what pages i'm viewing, Xorg will be using close to 100% CPU, and
> firefox will be using 100% as well.  literally, earlier this morning,
> using "top", both firefox and Xorg were listed as using 100% CPU.  at
> which point, response from any instance of firefox is cripplingly
> slow.  also potentially a flash issue?

That may be happening, but is it the software itself (which partly it
probably is), or is it the web pages themselves?  I mean on some of
these sites, why put in so much java/flash/whatever type crap and make
them so interactive?  I know we have cable/dsl modems more than ever
now, and the bandwidth part might not be as much of a problem, but the
software hasn't caught up to handle this stuff without occassionally
locking them up or freezing them or something.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY

Fedora Project - Bugzapper, Tester, User, etc..
miketc302 at fedoraproject.org