How to format /home to ext4 ?

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 13 04:22:41 UTC 2009

--- On Sun, 4/12/09, Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein at yahoo.com>
> Subject: How to format /home to ext4 ?
> To: fedora-test-list at redhat.com
> Date: Sunday, April 12, 2009, 9:13 PM
> just did an upgrade to fedora 11 updating fedora10.  In the
> process I lost
> the
> root logon which I had with F10.
>
> Without the root logon, I am unable to use gparted to
> unmount
> /home and to
> reformat /home to use ext4
>
> I realize that the desire to
> stop a gui logon of root is important, but
> there are many many tools in gnome
> and kde that root can make use of, and
> save substantial labor. Sudo does not provide root
> privileges to gnome.
>
> Guys,
> don't take away root logon, as I already configured
> Fedora10 to
> allow
> it. The F11 update took that away.
Look at the hack that was used to make root login available in Fedora 10 and apply it to Fedora 11 Beta, it should work, if it does not post here and someone may help.  You will always get the responses that running as root is not advised and that the developers disabled it for a reason.  You are on your own and all that.  Be prepared!

> I am hoping that with the live CD I can do the reformat of
> /home, (which
> is backed up in it's entirety on
> /opt)
Try one of the fedora beta cd's first, but if you don't get nowhere, then try :

Gparted LiveCD (has ext4 support now)
http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php
or
SystemRescueCD also has ext4 support
http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

to format your /home partition.  Remember to back up your data first so that you will not be left out or lose anything valueable in the process.
Sorry did not read the part where it is backed up in /opt :)

> Thanks
>
> Leslie
>
> PS. Am I the only one having problems
> with very very slow responses?
> Firefox will not start, and authenticate is
> broken.  Lets fix the convert to
> Ext4 issue first.

> Regards
> Leslie