firefox is regularly dying

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Mon Apr 13 17:41:37 UTC 2009

On Mon, 13 Apr 2009, Kevin DeKorte wrote:

> On 04/13/2009 11:26 AM, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> >> What video card do you have? It's possible that your video driver
> >> is buggy and you are getting GPU lockups. It might make sense to
> >> try to rule out a video driver problem by trying the reproduce
> >> your problems with VESA driver instead.
> >
> >   good point, so here's what i did.  while running with the
> > "radeon" driver, i edited xorg.conf and changed "radeon" to "vesa"
> > but, before i rebooted, i tried to browse over to my nemesis,
> > linux-kvm.org.  not surprisingly, still using the radeon driver,
> > that page *almost* loaded again, then locked up my system.
> >
> >   i power-cycled and rebooted (this time loading the vesa driver),
> > which brought me up to a 1024x768 desktop rather than 1280x800, at
> > which point i browsed over to linux-kvm.org and it worked just
> > fine. so it's clearly(?) something with the radeon driver.
>
> I'm using the radeon driver on a ATI 3650 card (r635) and that site
> comes up fine. Does adding "nomodeset" the the kernel line in grub
> and using radeon change anything.

i'm already using "nomodeset" -- i needed that just to get full
(1280x800) res on this laptop using the radeon driver.  so i can get
1280x800 res with the radeon driver, it's just horrifically unreliable
and locks up constantly.  since i backed off to vesa at 1024x768, no
problems, although i've been testing it for only a few minutes so far.

rday

Linked In:                             http://www.linkedin.com/in/rpjday