firefox is regularly dying

Jerry Amundson jamundso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 19:46:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 2:26 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-04-14 at 12:51 -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Robert P. J. Day
>> <rpjday at crashcourse.ca> wrote:
>> > p.s.  and while i'm here, francois cami suggested i upgrade the bios
>> > on this system as a possible solution.  i checked, and my current bios
>> > version is phoenix 9D.03.  and i can see a newer version here --
>> > 9D.05:
>> >
>> > http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=21980&dscr=BIOS%20flash%20Version%209D.05%2005/23/2008
>> >
>> > so how *does* one upgrade the bios from fedora conveniently?
>> > curiously, in all my years of working with red hat/fedora, i've never
>> > had to do that.
>>
>> You can't. See "How to Install" in the link above. The update is an
>> exe and looks to only run under Windows.
>> So, you'd need another partition, or a USB drive, with a Windows install.
>
> BIOS upgrades can usually be done from within the BIOS itself (on newer
> boards, anyway) or from DOS, as well. It's fairly unusual to require
> Windows. DOS flashing usually works fine from a FreeDOS floppy.

Agreed, but those specific instructions use something called
"WinPhlash". Knowing nothing about OP's Gateway, and even less about
"WinPhlash", I made assumptions...

However the firmware-tools or flashrom pkgs just suggested may provide
another option, as the exe from the link above is just archive file.

jerry
jerry