Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Seth Vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Wed Apr 15 14:02:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, 15 Apr 2009, Bob Gustafson wrote:

> I'm comparing two messengers:
>
> One, with 'minimum code', which relies on the user to decide whether the
> dependency list to be removed contains elements which are actively used
> by other packages.
>
> A second, (debian's package manager), which maintains a reference count
> so it does not remove elements which are still in use by other packages.
>
> Which would you like to unleash on the world?

So when yum prints:
  "Removing for dependencies:"

and then lists out all the pkgs that will be removed as a result of the
command you just typed in, you don't read it? You don't check that list?

So debian's package manager will most certainly remove a pkg and all pkgs
which depend on it and all pkgs which depend on it.

I think what you've experienced is a difference in the dependencies
themselves, not a difference in the depsolvers.

-sv