new install: how can i not have enough space?

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Wed Apr 15 14:39:43 UTC 2009

clumens at redhat.com writes:
> We weren't correctly grabbing the filesystem that was mounted on /usr,
> leading anaconda to think there was none, therefore your / is too small
> to hold everything.  /usr simply wasn't getting counted at all.

ISTM that if someone has chopped up the filesystem into separate mounts
for /home /usr /var etc, it's going to be practically impossible for the
disk space check to be exactly correct anyway.  We do not have numbers
on how much each package puts under each top-level directory, do we?

It would probably be a good idea if the not-enough-space error did not
assume that it is smarter than the user, ie, do not make it a hard
failure.  Perhaps "This package set might require more space than you
have, proceed anyway?"

			regards, tom lane