Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 15 23:22:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 12:56:15AM +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>
> I consider this "smallest first" behavior to be horribly deceptive and
> misleading (it makes you believe you're much farther into the download than
> you actually are) and I'm glad it got changed to something more logical.

I blush to admit that it took me a long time before I figured out that
there was an order to it.  I was thinking, hrrm, why is the kernel last,
and thought maybe it had to do with dependencies.

To me, the order is one of those "Whatever," things, but I want to
join with the others who congratulate the yum people on how well
it works.
Nothing's perfect (including, of course, apt)  :), but I remember
awhile back, posting how I'd gotten so used to yum working smoothly
that I'd forgotten how to troubleshoot.  Like others who've been around
for awhile, I remember what a nuisance it was trying to install
individual rpms and getting into the dependency issues.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Spike: Willow, tell 'em what I did.
Willow: You said you were gonna kill me, then Buffy.
Spike: Yes, bad, but let's skip that part and get to
the part where I couldn't bite you.