Specifying How Yum Downloads Updates

Robert L Cochran cochranb at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 16 00:52:23 UTC 2009

On 04/15/2009 08:45 PM, Robert L Cochran wrote:

> On 04/15/2009 06:56 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Robert L Cochran wrote:
>>> I didn't realize this was such an issue with people. It seems sort of
>>> like bicycle buying to me. Some people want performance bikes, some
>>> want
>>> road bikes. Some want expensive ones and others want cheap models.
>>> Maybe
>>> I'll try downloading the yum source and see if I can reinstate the
>>> download-by-package size option. I can live with the download
>>> alphabetically option, but I really did like getting most of the
>>> packages downloaded within a few minutes at most with the larger stuff
>>> coming last. I always check what Yum wants to download first before I
>>> answer 'y' to continuing, so I know perfectly well what packages are
>>> coming in.
>>
>> I consider this "smallest first" behavior to be horribly deceptive and
>> misleading (it makes you believe you're much farther into the
>> download than
>> you actually are) and I'm glad it got changed to something more logical.
>>
>> Kevin Kofler
>>
> The former way worked fine. There was no deception: recall that when a
> package is being downloaded, there are two percentage figures shown on
> the console output line. The first shows how complete the total
> download is. The second shows how complete the download for that
> particular package is. You could see reasonably accurate numbers right
> there. Many other software update utilities such as Microsoft Update
> don't show that much detail. And the way yum ordered downloads caused
> no one any problems. It is all a matter of perception, I guess!
>
> Bob

I keep forgetting to explain my own habits here. When I start yum, I
always do it in a terminal so I can look over the packages and get a
rough idea of whether I can go enjoy a coffee. Others like to use some
form of graphical updater and I suppose they don't display the detailed
download information that the console output does.

Bob