Sharing Desktop in F11 ?

Andrew Smith eurodrew555 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 19 21:25:13 UTC 2009

On 19/04/09 08:13, cornel panceac wrote:

> 2009/4/18 Richard England <rlengland at verizon.net
> <mailto:rlengland at verizon.net>>
>
>     In Fedora 10, to connect to your desktop via VNC, it was necessary
>     to use
>      System>Internet and Network>Remote Desktop  ("General" tab)
>     to set the "Sharing" and "Security" settings before you could
>     "see" the desktop.
>     Is this available for Fedora 11?  I'm not seeing it.  If it has
>     moved, I'm not finding it.  If it is not longer necessary then I'm
>     net getting VNC to work from F11 (connection is refused).  All my
>     F10 systems let me view desktops on other F10 systems and my F11
>     system can view desktops on the F10 systems.
>
>     Any one successfully used F11 VNC to get into another machine on
>     their local network?  I believe I have the firewall configured on
>     F11 and F10 the same.  I also believe I have all the tigervnc
>     modules installed (finally) but can anyone tell me what is required?
>
>     Thanks,
>     --
>     /~~R/
>

> check the ports on the machine wich refuse connection, like:
> nmap <machine's ip>

Hi Richard,

I installed Fedora 11 from a live CD and wondered where "Remote Desktop"
had gone (it's usually there by default).
After reading about the new tigervnc I thought the server was being
replaced.

If you want to enable "Remote Desktop" on Fedora 11 (as it was in F10)
then you need to make sure vino is installed.

sudo yum install vino

Then to setup your preferences run:

vino-preferences

You can also now access this from System > Preferences > Remote Desktop.

The tigervnc package is a replacement for vncviewer, which will allow to
vnc onto other machines from your Fedora 11 box.
I had a look at tigervnc-server, but I can't see an easy way to enable
it to attach to the console, like vino does.
Not sure whether tigervnc-server will replace vino in the future but I
assume it will (tigervnc has a lot of performance increases and virtualgl)

Regards,
Andrew