Draft email to maintainers regarding Priority / Severity in Bugzilla

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 14:32:42 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-04-19 at 20:23 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
> This is exactly why I don't expect this experiment to work.
> Everybody's
> bugs are critical _to_ _them_.  If you give them a box to twiddle to
> express this, and false hope that it is actually listened to, they
> will
> twiddle it as high as it will go, and if you twiddle it back down,
> you've just pissed off the reporter.

If we provide little guidance/examples of valid bug severities, I'm not
surprised when we get a subjective response from reporters.  I don't
blame reporters for this.  The task of removing the subjective nature
from the definition of bug severity is a worthwhile effort.

There will always be incorrect use of these fields, which we will have
training/documentation materials to help reinforce proper use.

Thanks,
James