firefox is regularly dying

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 17:35:40 UTC 2009

On Sat, 2009-04-18 at 05:29 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > >    in fact, at the moment, firefox is listed as using just over 118%
> > > of the CPU, whereas seamonkey is sitting down around 0.3%.  i used to
> > > really like firefox.  how did it turn into such an unmitigated
> > > disaster?
>
> > what Extensions/Themes are you using in Firefox? cause i dont see
> > that
>
>   this is firefox-3.1-0.11.beta3.fc11.x86_64, running pretty much out
> of the box on a fresh install of f11 beta x86_64, with the 64-bit
> adobe flash player installed in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins and that's
> all.
>
>   i just started FF and am not doing *anything* with it -- it's just
> sitting there, and top reports that that single invocation of FF is
> using 103.3% CPU, while multiple invocations of seamonkey are taking
> up a total of 3.3%.
>
>   i'm not the only person who's reported on this -- firefox is just
> horribly, horribly slow.  i just switched virtual desktops to check on
> that one FF window, and what i get is a FF-sized window that still
> contains the content from the previous virtual desktop -- my system
> isn't even capable of refreshing the FF window, while seamonkey just
> zips right along.

I'm not seeing this either, and I'm on a fairly similar setup to you -
current x86-64 Rawhide with the proprietary Flash installed. I also have
Adblock Plus, Greasemonkey and Noscript. Firefox works very reliably for
me, I don't have any trouble with it. No excessive CPU usage (it's got
eight tabs open right now and isn't using any CPU according to htop,
while it's just sitting there).

For a while I *was* having trouble with any Flash video content causing
Firefox to hang after it stopped playing the next time I changed pages.
This turned out to trace back to PulseAudio: the PulseAudio server
wasn't running right. Once I fixed that, Firefox stopped misbehaving.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey