sound on my f11 beta laptop is incredibly unreliable

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Apr 20 19:45:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-04-20 at 13:12 -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> > But the most likely explanation is that PA died. The most common
> > reason for it to die is bugs in the ALSA drivers, usually intel8x0
> > or intel-hda.
> >
> > If you're still running the original F11Beta kernel - update kernel
> > and pulseaudio, reboot, and see if things are any better.
> >
> > Otherwise, check your system log, then look through the pulseaudio bug
> > reports and kernel bug reports about audio - esp. the ones on the
> > F11Blocker list - and if you can't find your problem, file a bug.
> > Include the pulseaudio log messages and dmesg output that pertains to
> > ALSA/snd modules.
>
>   it was an f11 beta system that was up-to-date as of two days ago,
> so i just did another update, rebooted and sound is back.  the lesson
> here being -- update, update, update.  then update.

As Will said, actually it's just likely that the pulseaudio daemon had
crashed. Rebooting obviously brings it back. It would've been nice if
you'd followed Will's steps so we'd know what caused it to crash and
whether this needs to be brought to the developers' attention.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey