Draft email to maintainers regarding Priority / Severity in Bugzilla

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 17:13:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 11:59 -0500, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 11:26 -0500, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> >> You do realize that I was quoting
> >>
> >>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Beland/Bugzilla_Legend
> >>
> >> right?
> >
> > You do realize that the page you quoted is a draft done by another
> > contributor, which hasn't been approved that I'm aware of?  I mean, I
> > could quote you graffiti from the alley of the library, doesn't make it
> > Shakespeare.
>
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 11:38 AM, Matej Cepl <mcepl at redhat.com> wrote:
> > On 2009-04-21, 16:26 GMT, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> >> You do realize that I was quoting
> >>
> >>     http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Beland/Bugzilla_Legend
> >
> > And do you realize that it is still in User namespace, so it is
> > just Beland's draft, which was never discussed, approved, or made
> > official, right?
>
> And so continues the defensive posturing from the @redhat.com address
> space. Like sand through the hour-glass...
>
> Why is b.r.c even accessible publicly? Just keep the thing behind the
> firewalls, rename it utopia.redhat.com, close everything NOTABUG, and
> don't ever get feedback from users again. :-)

It's not defensive posturing. It's perfectly good sense.

As I wrote yesterday, the entire point of Bugzilla is to provide
information to the people who create the product in order to help them
improve it. The people who take useful action based on the content of
Bugzilla are the maintainers, not anyone else. All the information in a
bug report exists for the benefit of the maintainer of the component
concerned. It's not there for the benefit of the reporter or the triager
or anyone else.

As I said yesterday, answer this question: who does it actually benefit
to have a field which demonstrates how strongly the bug reporter feels
about the bug? How does that help anyone else in any way at all? How
does it help us build a better product?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey