2009-04-21 - Fedora Test Day - Minimal platform

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:19:19 UTC 2009

>> Greetings testers,
>>
>> Calling all package gurus and dependency junkies!  The Fedora 11
>> MinimalPlatform feature [1] aims to provide a tiny installation package
>> set by identifying unwanted deps from @Core and related groups.  As
>> described in the feature page, the benefits to Fedora include:
>>
>>      * Security - lower the attack surface by installing only necessary
>>        packages
>>      * Performance - faster installation and less running services
>>      * Storage - installation is less than 500MB
>>
>> There will also be several new tools available to help navigate
>> dependencies, including rpmreaper and rpm2comps.
>> Come join #fedora-qa this Tuesday, April 21 2009 to help put an end to
>> deps creep.  Test cases and a Fedora live image will be available to aid
>> testing. Stay tuned for more details are available at
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Day:2009-04-21_Minimal_Platform.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> James
>>
>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MinimalPlatform
>

> Join us today, we have lot of work to do :)
>
> Side goal of this event is also to open discussion and as an output improve
> set of best practices how to handle with dependencies and subpackages. This
> is partly defined in packaging guidelines, but just for -doc -static -devel.
> I might be beneficial to implement wider and stricter rules.
> Ideally if some rpmlint plugin can check whether the srpm is correctly
> divided into subpackages.

This is great news. I started filing tickets to reduce/split out deps
when I started looking at doing a "Fedora Mini" spin for netbooks and
the like to be able to install a usable desktop env in 2Gb (the
smallest size of the SSD on some netbooks) but have since got
sidetracked helping out the OLPC project with similar sort of stuff.

Is there also a tracker bug to link reported bugs against?

Peter