Rawhide install from CD is really unacceptably slow

Tom Lane tgl at redhat.com
Thu Apr 23 16:00:05 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:33 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Somebody's really dropped the ball on performance here somewhere.
>> It's difficult to know which component to blame though; any ideas?

> Check the other terminals for error messages regarding the CD.  A badly
> burnt or partially unreadable CD can cause a lot of IO that will drag
> things down.

Hmm.  There is nothing error-ish on any of the text ttys.  But now that
you mention it, when I tried to do the "media test" at the start, it
refused, saying something about there being no checksum on the media.
The error message made it sound like that wasn't unexpected, and the
disk had verified okay when I burnt it, so I figured maybe that is SOP
for rawhide boot.iso images.  If it isn't, then maybe you've fingered
the problem.

(I guess it's also possible that the machine's CD drive has flaked out,
though it seemed okay last week ...)

			regards, tom lane