xsane hang?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sun Apr 26 00:58:15 UTC 2009

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:15:26 -0600
Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> If you will do 'scanimage --help' does what comes after "Options
> specific to device" line looks ok and is displayed without undue
> delays?

Using the highly precise counting 1001, 1002... technique, I'd estimate
that it takes between 2 and 3 seconds to print the device specific
options, which are:

Options specific to device `hpaio:/usb/Photosmart_C5500_series?serial=MY8AFC20JZ056H':
  Scan mode:
    --mode Lineart|Gray|Color [Color]
        Selects the scan mode (e.g., lineart, monochrome, or color).
    --resolution 75..4800dpi [75]
        Sets the resolution of the scanned image.
  Advanced:
    --contrast 0..100 [inactive]
        Controls the contrast of the acquired image.
    --compression None|JPEG [JPEG]
        Selects the scanner compression method for faster scans, possibly at
        the expense of image quality.
    --jpeg-quality 0..100 [10]
        Sets the scanner JPEG compression factor. Larger numbers mean better
        compression, and smaller numbers mean better image quality.
    --batch-scan[=(yes|no)] [no]
        Enables continuous scanning with automatic document feeder (ADF).
    --source Flatbed [Flatbed]
        Selects the scan source (such as a document-feeder).
  Geometry:
    --length-measurement Unknown|Approximate|Padded [Padded]
        Selects how the scanned image length is measured and reported, which
        is impossible to know in advance for scrollfed scans.
    -l 0..215.9mm [0]
        Top-left x position of scan area.
    -t 0..296.926mm [0]
        Top-left y position of scan area.
    -x 0..215.9mm [215.9]
        Width of scan-area.
    -y 0..296.926mm [296.926]
        Height of scan-area.

Not sure if a couple of seconds is undue or not, but it is about
the same on fedora 10 where xsane works fine.