F11 kvm-qemu: isn't svm enough on AMD?

sean darcy seandarcy2 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 23:34:03 UTC 2009

Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 05:58:24PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
>>> I don't know. I'd first done yum groupinstall virtualization. As I
>>> remember, that only brought in qemu-img. When that didn't work I
>>> installed qemu*x86. I may have installed qemu-user also. Finally yum
>>> install qemu*. Then it worked.
>>>
>>> Any clues on paravirtualization?
>
> QEMU and KVM are both fullvirt technologies. Xen is paravirt.
>
>> I probably found the reason installing qemu*86 is not enough:
>>
>> http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Running_libvirt_with_KVM
>
> That page is just plain wrong for Fedora users. The binaries as installed
> by the qemu (or qemu-system-x86) RPMs are setup correctly. There is no
> need setup symlinks in that way. If you installed the qemu/qemu-system*
> RPMs after the initial install, you should reboot to make sure all the
> kernel modules are loaded, and features detected. If you don't want to
> reboot, then manually check the kernel modules are loaded, and also
> restart the libvirtd daemon (service libvirtd restart)
>
> Daniel

Okay. I know I restarted libvirtd, but I didn't check if the kernel
modules were loaded.

In any event, your point about the page being wrong for fedora users is
well taken. As I've been messing around with this the past couple of
days, I've had trouble finding resources for fedora kvm users. And the
resources I have found don't match how F11 has set things up. See, for
instance, my comment today to
http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager.

Are there kvm resources for fedora users? I've seen the ubuntu howto's,
but I've been leery, because F11 may be set up differently. Is there a
list or forum for fedora kvm users?

sean

sean