F11 kvm-qemu: isn't svm enough on AMD?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Apr 28 09:18:48 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 07:34:03PM -0400, sean darcy wrote:
> Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> >QEMU and KVM are both fullvirt technologies. Xen is paravirt.
> >
> >>I probably found the reason installing qemu*86 is not enough:
> >>
> >>http://www.linux-kvm.org/page/Running_libvirt_with_KVM
> >
> >That page is just plain wrong for Fedora users. The binaries as installed
> >by the qemu (or qemu-system-x86) RPMs are setup correctly. There is no
> >need setup symlinks in that way. If you installed the qemu/qemu-system*
> >RPMs after the initial install, you should reboot to make sure all the
> >kernel modules are loaded, and features detected. If you don't want to
> >reboot, then manually check the kernel modules are loaded, and also
> >restart the libvirtd daemon (service libvirtd restart)
> >
> >Daniel
>
> Okay. I know I restarted libvirtd, but I didn't check if the kernel
> modules were loaded.
>
> In any event, your point about the page being wrong for fedora users is
> well taken. As I've been messing around with this the past couple of
> days, I've had trouble finding resources for fedora kvm users. And the
> resources I have found don't match how F11 has set things up. See, for
> instance, my comment today to
> http://www.linux-kvm.com/content/using-bridged-networking-virt-manager.

For networking we have a page describing our 2 recommended configs
here:

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

> Are there kvm resources for fedora users? I've seen the ubuntu howto's,
> but I've been leery, because F11 may be set up differently. Is there a
> list or forum for fedora kvm users?

For discussions we encourage people to join the fedora-virt mailing
list

  http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-virt/

There is a intro on the fedora wiki too

  http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Getting_started_with_virtualization