One or more disks are failing

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Apr 29 11:58:31 UTC 2009

Nikolay Vladimirov wrote:

> The built-in IBM checks did work and the disk has bad sectors so it's
> a very very nice feature this disk monitor.
> It was very helpful and somewhat Fedora exclusive. In the past week or
> so there were gentoo, arch, ubuntu and XP(with the full built in IBM
> suite) installed on the machine. None of them had a big red "Your disk
> is damaged". I'm very happy that fedora could help me with that.

Before casting nasturtiums around, check that smartmontools were
installed and running on the other systems.

It might just be a matter of timing, one second all is well and the
next, the disk detects a problem. The disk may have been fine before this.

fwiw I have a disk that's been griping for a year or so, I really must
do something about it. There are no errors in any files (I can read them
okay), but I cannot read all the disk.

I have in mind cloning it, then writing zeros over the entire surface.
That, in theory, causes the disk's firmware to assign alternate
tracks/sectors or whatever happens in modern disks, and life goes on. It
seems to have worked on the one disk I've done it on.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait