F11 Preview problems

Jim Bevier jim at jbsys.com
Thu Apr 30 18:06:40 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I tried the i386 live CD and i386 install DVD.  I had a Nvidia Riva TNT card
in one system (I was running RedHat 7.1, don't ask), and it could not start
X during startup.  I tried vga=791 and xdriver=vesa, but X would not work.
I removed the card and used the built-in video chip, and it started up
without a problem.  Anyone know of a work around for this nvidia driver
problem?  This system also had a second network card that was unused.  F11
assigned the built-in ethernet to eth1 and the card to eth0.  Of course, I
was using the built-in ethernet.  Anyway to reassign which device is eth0 &
eth1?

The second system was a dual AMD system and installation went ok.  It had
two ethernet cards, and was to be configured as a server/router between two
networks.  (192.168.1.0 & 192.168.0.0)   After some playing around, I
finally got sshd, rcp-server, nfs, telnetd, bind, and samba to work for my
internal domain.  I could not get the vnc server (TigerVNC) to work.  It
says it was missing some fonts.  Anyone know what font I need to install to
get it to work?

One last thing, it seems the floppy disk light remains on all the time.
This is not the case on a rawhide system I have (not preview).  Is this a
new "feature"?

I like the new graphics.  I think the Fedora community will make themselves
proud with this release.

Jim