Can't stop log

Allen Kistler an037-ooai8 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 30 20:18:02 UTC 2009

Antonio Olivares wrote:
> --- On Thu, 4/30/09, Allen Kistler wrote:
>> I chased ConsoleKit, gnome-session, and a few others when I
>> saw this bug on my systems.  I didn't get anywhere.
>> It's a challenging bug to chase, because it doesn't
>> always happen.  Although I think it may be more reproducible
>> when going from runlevel 5 to runlevel 3, maybe because if
>> something's broken, it gets killed anyway in runlevel 0
>> or runlevel 6 when shutdown or reboot actually shuts down or
>> reboots.
>>
>> Anyway, I've seen people ask about this bug on this
>> list (with various subject lines, but always essentially the
>> same thing).  I've seen other people file bugs and get
>> them marked as duplicate.  I've seen people add
>> themselves as CCs on existing bugs.  Even if I'm really
>> stupid, I'd think at least some of the people interested
>> in this bug are pretty bright.  The fact that nobody seems
>> to have a handle on exactly what's going on is kind of
>> scary.
>>
>> For me, the power button and ACPI still team up to provide
>> a graceful shutdown, but that seems a bit inelegant.
>
> If you take another look at the attachment sent by Bill, the cultprit seems to be selinux not allowing shutdown.  However, the updates might have fixed it?  Don't know why but I have seen several of my rawhide machines doing this, but I did not bother to check what was going on and just pressed power button so that they could shutdown all the way.
>
> I know my bad, but I see it only on two of the five machines and others do shutdown properly so it seems to me that not all users out there are experiencing the same trouble(s).

I question SELinux as the root cause, because:
1. The problem has existed for a while with no AVC denial.
2. I ran in permissive mode, anyway, and still saw the bug.
3. The bug only happens sometimes, but SELinux would be all the time.

In other words, I think SELinux is a new bug that should be fixed, and I
think we still need to keep looking.  I haven't done much testing in the
last week, half because of the freeze making nothing new available to
test.  Now I've got a copy of the Preview DVD, so I'll crank it up again
today or tomorrow and see what I see.  I heartily encourage everyone
else to do the same.