f11b i386 install demands a net connection

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Thu Apr 2 00:10:48 UTC 2009

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>>
>>>   again, doing i386 and x86_64 installs in parallel, the i386
>>> install demands that i *need* a network interface to continue, but
>>> neither of these systems is connected to the net -- i want to do
>>> just DVD-based installs for both of them.
>>>
>>>   the x86_64 install is at the point where it's askimg me for my
>>> choice of software, but the i386 install has already aborted.  a
>>> second attempt produced the same results for i386.
>>>
>>>   and, no, i definitely did not select the rawhide repository for
>>> additional software.  has anyone else seen this?  i'm going to try
>>> a third time to make sure it happens again.
>>   ok, i've tried this again a couple of times for each type of
>> install, and now i fail invariably because the install *insists*
>> that i need an active net connection to continue based on my
>> software repositories.
>>
>>   this disgnostic is displayed after i format my filesystems and
>> before i've even *selected* which repositories i want to use during
>> the install.  weirdly, i got past this point to the software
>> selection phase not that long ago on the x86_64 install but now,
>> both installs fail, demanding that they need a net connection to
>> continue.
>
>   one more followup, just to prove i'm really trying to reproduce
> this.  parallel installs from scratch, but the x86_64 install made it
> past the requirement for a net connection and is now at the software
> selection screen, while the i386 install got hung up demanding a net
> connection again.  and i really did those installs identically up to
> that point.
>
>   the obvious question -- why is the install telling me i need a net
> connection based on my selected software repositories when i haven't
> even reached the point where i've *selected* my repositories?
>
>   i'm guessing that if i tried this again, i'd get relatively random
> results.  thoughts?

My guess is it's looking for a network connexion so it can get a current
list of repos.

It would be interesting to give it a network connection and see what it
does. Choices for tracking:
1. transparent proxy, log with squid (or apache).
2. tcpdump taken on a gateway, recording everything the MUT says.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait