F11beta experiences

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Apr 2 22:13:10 UTC 2009

Tried to do an install using KVM and an i386 image from torrent. After the
install count hit 1075 (complete) it hung. It sort-of works, sent a few dumps
via bug reporter. On the off chance that the image was bad, I pulled a 2nd copy
with jigdo and that has the same cksum, so there is an issue of some kind.

Booted the x86_64 Live on an Acer dual core Athlon, that worked pretty well, I
may plug in a USB drive and install on that, I need what's on it now.

However, I got many kernel failures which reported themselves via bug reporter.
the big PITA is that the wireless keeps connecting and disconnecting, using NM.
I noted this on F10, and it doesn't happen when I use the network stuff or
connect by hand, manually using iwconfig and dhclient (I just did that for
testing). But it will connect (and reconnect) over and over, just like NM and
F10. The connection stays up as far as the application knows, but the network
"pauses" frequently. I can send a log if anyone is going to look at it, but I
assume it's part of power management, wireless not used in 20 sec, shut it off?

NFS doesn't work using a UDP connection. The mount completes but the transfer
rate is more or less unusable, 50-100kB/min. With a TCP mount the transfer rate
is just under 1MiB/sec, nicely useful. This is *not* the case with hardwire
connection, only wireless.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>