named stops resolving anything -- dnssec issue

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Sun Apr 5 17:56:47 UTC 2009

On Sun, Apr 05, 2009 at 12:32:37PM -0400, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
> On 04/05/2009 12:04 PM, Chuck Anderson wrote:
>> Because DNSSEC is still in it's infancy w.r.t. production deployment
>> on the Internet.  The powers that be still haven't signed the root
>> zone, and most TLD zones aren't signed either.  So we have to live
>> with the hack known as DLV for now, and there isn't much robustness in
>> that service yet.
>>
> Then Fedora shouldn't be shipping bind RPMs that turn DNSSEC validation
> on, should it?  Or perhaps dnssec-must-be-secure can be used in
> named.conf to configure in such a way that named tries DNSSEC validation
> but allows the query to proceed (with an error message logged) even if
> it fails?

Despite my initial enthusiasm for enabling DNSSEC by default in
Fedora, I tend to agree with you now that we should probably keep it
off by default for a while longer.  It is dead simple to turn off/on
though.  See the "dnssec-configure" command, which works for both BIND
and Unbound.