i686 ---> i586, i386 ---> i586, x86_64 stays the same

cornel panceac cpanceac at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 20:23:25 UTC 2009

2009/4/5 drago01 <drago01 at gmail.com>

> On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 9:15 PM, Antonio Olivares
> <olivares14031 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > Dear fellow testers,
> >
> > I am sorry to ask, but I read about the changes on i686 moving to i586
> and the i386 packages to i586.  I had known prior to this that
> >
> > i686 ---> Pentium computer PIII, PIV, Intel based CPU
> > i586 ---> AMD athlon, other AMD capable computer
> > x86_64  ---> AMD 64 capable CPU or similar processor
> >
> > The default 32-bit x86 target in koji would be changed from i386 to i586
> > http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ArchitectureSupport
> >
> > I assume this is only temporary as after this release it will go back to
> i686 right?
> >
> > The other distributions I am familiar with that used i586 packages are
> OpenSUSE and Mandriva namely.  This only makes me confused as the i586
> packages are optimized for AMD processors and the i686 packages for Intel
> based CPU's like Pentium III/IV.
> >
> > I am only a bit confused with this and if someone can help me undestand
> better I would appreciate it very much :)
>
> ix68 has nothing to do with the cpu vendor (AMD, INTEL, VIA)
> it just means the minimum required instruction set that is needed for
> the software to run.
> i586 means "Pentium or older"

i686 is pentium pro and later (or compatible), i586-only is refered to all
other pentium (or compatible), and i386-only is all intel compatible
starting with i386 and lower than pentium. see also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I686

however it may be interesting to hear what fedora package builders have to
say on this matter.

> --

Linux counter #213090