rawhide update schedule and reporting dependency issues?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 8 04:35:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Apr 07, 2009 at 06:48:05PM -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:

> Is it really worth posting about everyday dependency issues? As noted on
> -devel-list, there's some kind of dependency issue almost every day,
> it's pretty much par for the course. There is an automated notification
> of dependency issues sent to -devel-list (and I think direct to the
> affected maintainers). They're usually fixed the next day. I think
> posting about them to this list would be basically noise.

If you mean people posting here "me too" notes about dependency
issues then I would agree.  OTOH broken dependency information in
"rawhide report" notes is absolutely vital.  Without it I would be
left to a bad guesswork if problems which showed up are caused by
some troubles on my test system, which happened for assorted
reasons, or are indeed recognized and proper notifications were
sent.  Besides other things a serious hit on my time budget.

Also it did happen occasionally that some broken dependencies were
not automatically noted and this was a good reason to file bugzilla
reports.  Without information you are reducing options to filing
about every broken dependency, which is a pretty bad idea, or
totally ignoring the issue.

   Michal